DIRECTIONAL WORDS AND PREPOSITIONS:
- across from
Words that Describe Actions and Change
- The forest to the south of the river was completely cut down.
- A school was constructed to the north-east of the station.
- The houses in the south-west of the town were demolished to make space for the new car park.
- The green fields to the south-west of the hospital were redeveloped as a park.
- The airport in the centre of the city was relocated to the north-east of the river.
- The school to the south-east was knocked down and a new one was built to the north of the forest.
Prepositions of place
You will also have to use prepositions of place, e.g. at/in/on/by/beside/to/of/from/…, to describe where the things are.
- Dramatic changes took place in the village centre.
- To the south of the town, there is a recreational park surrounded by trees.
- A new playground was built next to the swimming pool.
- The old road running from north to south was replaced by a brand new motorway.
- A completely new marina was built on the river banks.
- Demolished: The industrial estate was demolished and developed into a sports ground by the local community.
- Knocked-down: The shops were knocked-down and replaced with a skyscraper.
- Flattened: The factory in the city centre was flattened and relocated to the north of the city.
- Replaced with: The old warehouses were replaced with new hotels.
- Renovated: The old buildings were completely renovated.
- Built: A new factory was built north of the residential area.
- Constructed: A harbor was constructed at the edge of the river.
- Reconstructed: The school was completely reconstructed after the passing of the hurricane.
- Developed into: the industrial estate was demolished and developed into a sports ground by the local community.
- Extended: The school was extended by adding 2 more buildings.
- Expanded: The residential area expanded south-east by constructing 3 more homes.
- Relocated to: The factory in the city centre was flattened and relocated to the north of the city.
- Converted into: The factory was converted into apartments.
- Modernized: The infrastructure was modernized by converting the dirt roads into concrete streets.
Trees and Forests:
- Cleared: The trees were cleared to make way for a new residential area.
- Cut-down: The forest was cut-down and made space for a shopping centre.
- Chopped-down: The forest was entirely chopped-down to make way for a new highway.
- Removed: Some of the trees were removed to build a new playground.
- Planted: A new forest was planted west of the factory
Roads, Bridges and Railway lines:
- Constructed: A new railroad was constructed next to the village.
- Built: A new bridge was built to replace the old one.
- Extended: The main road was extended and a new bridge built over the river.
- Expanded to: The main road was expanded to the north to connect to the other town.
- Removed: The railway lines were removed and replaced by a metro line.
- Opened: A brand new sports centre opened just north of the school.
- Set up: A brand new skate park was set up close to the swimming pool.
- Developed: A playground was developed next to the school.